RE: [Asrg] Call for contributors to develop `pay per fraudulantmessage` I-D, code

2004-12-28 18:26:19

idea that someone has to decide what is spam and what is not.

No ... spam is subjective.  Formaly deciding what is or is not spam
is the wrong way to proceed.

Instead, consider what happens if all mail is 'tagged'.  Filtering
becomes
a more reliable mechanism since there would be standard recoginzable
tags.
Filtering could be based on whatever a user or provider chose to use as
a tagging criteria.  The filtering criteria would of course include some
the measure of the trust in the tag's creator.  Now ... We already have
some 'tags' in the mail headers (all of the defined fields).  These
could
Be used and optionally augmented with new labels to provide useable
hooks
to filter mail.

Now this just requires:
 - determination of existing fileds that might be used for filtering
 - definition of new tags
 - meta language for tag syntax and semantic definition
 - digital signature formats and procedures to provide
   authenticity and traceability of tagging
 - tag creation and key distribution procedures
   (perhaps including the exchange of money)

The above ideas are based partialy on the PICS effort.
PICS provided a useful tagging mechanism that is not widely adopted.
It required that 'most' web sites add a label to there home page.
Obviously a non-starter.  However, for e-mail, this could be a value
added service,
That would significantly help solve spam, and mail spoofing problems.

Note, I am not a proponent of fee based solutions, but services will
be created if there is a revenue stream.  There are a variety of payment
models ...

Paul