Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-08 04:45:02
On Jan 7, 2005, at 23:51, Michael Kaplan wrote:
To once again clarify how erroneous bounces will be filtered:
Any email system that allows a user to generate a white list will be able to readily generate a 'bounce white list' composed of all addresses that the user had sent mail to within the past few hours. The bounces generated by my system will be identified as bounces by a universally recognized tag. The user will
only see the bounces that are contained on the bounce white list.

Will that work in a world that still has a lot of mailing lists that don't rewrite the envelope sender data, such that bounces go back to the sender but from addresses the sender didn't send to? Or do you break all such systems and require their replacement with something different, like SPF?

Personal email forwarding addresses are in some respects a special case of the above, except you can probably make a stronger argument for wanting envelope senders that do relate to the original sender, and not to the agent in the middle, for example for use by vacation programs at the final receiving site.

Ken