Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-08 11:51:12
On 2005-01-08 12:36:23 -0500, Seth Breidbart wrote:
Ken Raeburn <raeburn(_at_)raeburn(_dot_)org> wrote:

Will that work in a world that still has a lot of mailing lists that
don't rewrite the envelope sender data, such that bounces go back to
the sender but from addresses the sender didn't send to?

That one I don't consider a problem; if you subscribe to a mailing
list and I post to the list, I _don't_ want to see anything automatic
 from you.

I think he means it the other way around: Every time you post
something to a mailinglist, you get a lot of challenges because your
address isn't in the whitelist.

If you miss out on postings to the list because I won't
jump through your hoops, that's your problem.

Currently, such lists (e.g. bugtraq) are a problem for posters.

But bugtraq does rewrite the envelope sender (it uses ezmlm's VERP
scheme). The problem with bugtraq is that a lot of people have software
installed which ignores the envelope sender and replies to the address
in the From: header instead.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Je höher der Norden, desto weniger wird
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | überhaupt gesprochen, also auch kein Dialekt.
| |   | hjp(_at_)hjp(_dot_)at         | Hallig Gröde ist fast gänzlich
dialektfrei.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Hannes Petersen in desd