Re: [Asrg] SBC Blocks Port 25

2005-01-14 22:33:27
At 4:46 AM +0000 1/15/05, John Levine imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
It seems to be more press release than reality. I still see dozens of
attempts to send me mail from SBC dynamically assigned addresses
every day.

Are you sure they're dynamic?  SBC is infamous for mixing static and
dynamic address ranges with no hint in the rDNS or otherwise which is
which.

The 'otherwise' is not quite right. See http://www.scconsult.com/sbclist.shtml for my guess. The basis of that is telltale strings in ARIN records. Not perfect, but I'm not aware of any provider in the same class that makes their dynamic/static space differentiable to a similar consistency and reliability. The closest any other I am aware of is RoadRunner's mostly-wrong rwhois server.

--
Bill Cole
bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com