Re: [Asrg] Spammer proxies using legitamate mail relays

2005-02-16 00:05:02
Most hashcash proponents are already for a hybrid system that would skip the computationally intensive part for relatively strong authenticated senders.
For example, senders from reputable domains that comply with SPF and/or
SenderID or maybe even domain keys should be allowed to skip hashcash.

SPF alone isn't sufficient reason to skip hashcash, as your original post should make clear. The concept of "reputable" is also woolly, in non-obvious ways - it's much simpler and less "gameable" to just require hashcash regardless.

For bulk senders, they should have to have a registered (or bonded) domain using
DomainKeys because of it's non-repudiation for any spam they spew.

You're right - a bonded-domain system could be another string to the bypass bow. It doesn't really break the system, though, it's just an addition to consider.

For all
other email that hasn't been verified by SPF/SenderID/DomainKeys, they
should be brutally punished with a one minute computation (on a dual 3.6 GHz
XEON box) for every message they want to send.  If they don't want to
compute it, too bad.

That, I'm afraid, discriminates unfairly against ordinary users with old machines on small, backwater ISPs, which is one of the reasons plain hashcash doesn't quite work.

The only problem for hashcash is that spammers already
have a massive SuperGrid available to them in the form of Zombies that
currently act as SMTP proxies. I guess that means we'll either need to flag them as suspicious and place the messages in a quick flush folder or we'll
just need to drop them.

The 27-bit (plus) hashcash cost actually takes into account the potential zombie population. Strangely enough, we were able to discover a point where spammers' profit-per-message went through the floor, even when they could get as many zombies as they liked for free.

As for Moore's law, the major CPU vendors have been in violation of it for nearly 2 years now. Intel's been stuck in the 3 GHz funk for 2 years now and they're going to start resorting to multi-cores like every other CPU
vendor.

When it comes to computing SHA-1 collisions, there are a number of special optimisations which are unlocked by newer processors. The Motorola/IBM processors have *not* been in violation of Moore's Curves in recent history, and thus the current crop of PowerPC 970s is capable of 9 million collisions per second (at 2GHz, per CPU), a long way ahead of the P4. AMD have also been steadily improving *their* chips, which are also usually faster in real terms than the P4.

At the moment, the sweet spot in price/performance, when it comes to hashcash, is the Mac Mini. It's small and power-efficient, so you can put lots of them into a colocation shelf, without paying over the odds for air conditioning. It's also cheap, at $399 for about 6 million collisions per second. I advise using that figure for any cost calculations.

Bottom line is, anti-spam technology is getting better but the spammers are
still one step ahead.

Yes, they are at the moment. But that's because the general e-mail industry is highly inertial, and it takes some time to convince them to adopt each incremental change. So we introduce one measure - SPF - and by the time half the ISPs have started using it, the spammers have all adapted so that it's having no effect on overall volume, even if it happens to make the next step much easier to implement.

I'm trying to put forward a solution that actually reduces volume, and cannot be sidestepped.