RE: [Asrg] Spammer proxies using legitimate mail relays

2005-02-16 16:43:27
-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Seth
Breidbart
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:19 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spammer proxies using legitimate mail relays

"George Ou" <george_ou(_at_)netzero(_dot_)com> wrote:

What do you mean "we"?  The chances of a small domain getting enough spam
(even more than 1) from any individual zombie will be quite small, providing
spammers distribute well.  So blacklisting individual accounts will either
require a huge public list, or a major recipient domain.

The rest of us will have to blacklist the entirety of any ISP that doesn't
cut off its zombies.

Seth

Blacklisting entire domains because of an irresponsible and negligent ISP
that doesn't police it's own users or network is fine with some but not for
others.  Unfortunately, killing off legitimate email is a very sensitive
topic.  The trick/challenge is getting the entire industry to agree to a
formal "treaty" of some sort of what acceptable ISP behavior is, and then
getting the entire industry to black list entire domains in unison to force
an instant change in behavior of irresponsible ISPs.  Basically, we want to
avoid the slow boil syndrome since ISPs are stupid enough to stay in the
water and tolerate a certain level of black listing.

George