Re: [Asrg] A question on trust and trust propagation.

2005-03-07 12:03:04
A general reputation framework should be able to make assertions
about any source identity, and especially identities that can be
verified.  This includes:

        IP
        "Mail From" address
        Source domain
        DomainKeys' [selector.]domain space
        PRA

Regards,

Alex Bobotek

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf
Of
Jon Kyme
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 9:48 AM
To: ASRG
Subject: SPAMWARNING Re: [Asrg] A question on trust and trust
propagation.

Maybe the information should not be a binary black/white, but a
probability/confidence value? "Mail from that IP is spam with a
probability of 99%" or something like that? For most IPs this will
usually be close to 0% or 100%, but it should be somewhere in
between
if there are too few samples, or if the host is transitioning from
bad
to good or vice versa.

(I have to look a GOSSiP again - I think that was quite similar)

You're right, as I remember, Mark Langston's GOSSiP responded to
queries
with a reputation score (and an associated confidence rating - did
this
get
done?).

Sender domains/addresses are currently completely useless as
trustable
entities.

On their own, perhaps. GOSSiP proposed a domain / IP duple as the
reputation identity, by which I guess some of the issues with
"granularity"
were (might be) avoided. There were also schemes to amalgamate
entities
for
scoring purposes - perhaps by ref. to "authorisation" mechanisms such
as
SPF.

Actually, I really liked the ideas behind GOSSiP - particularly the
way
trust between nodes might be established informally (or not), and then
modulated dynamically (without human intervention) would have been
neat (I
don't know how far that got).