Re: [Asrg] BATV and mailing lists

2005-03-17 18:59:15
So the basic plan here would be an option in the email client
'subscribe to mailing list' that would cause the appropriate BATV (OK
RATV since this is the receiver) to be calculated and the
subscription set up.

This is just the familiar trick of subscribing to mailing lists with a
per-list address.  I suppose you could encode the list name into the
address and a checksum to save the effort of remembering what lists
you've subscribed to, but in practice I suspect that it makes more
sense for the MUA to remember the lists and addresses along with other
info like how to unsubscribe.

The issue of when to use the per-list address and when to use your
normal address is already a pain when I subscribe with unique
addresses (see return address above), and so far there's no good way
to deal with it unless you're the kind of person who thinks it's fun
to wrap his MUA with perl scripts.  With some list managers I can tell
it that my normal address is an alias for the unique address, so I can
post with my normal address and get the mail back to the unique
address, but that's not widely supported (only mj2 as far as I know)
and it's kind of hard to explain to civilians how to set it up.

I agree that we could use a more robust want to manage both ends of
list subscriptions, but I don't see a funky subscription address in
isolation as being very useful.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"I shook hands with Senators Dole and Inouye," said Tom, disarmingly.