[Asrg] BATV and mailing lists

2005-03-17 15:16:25
A while back I put in a proposal for a BATV like scheme to allow consent to
receive to be expressed in mail headers. The basic idea was that if I
subscribe to asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org then I could give the ietf.org mail
server a
token which it would return to me with every message and this would prove
that I asked for the message (see the internet drafts for details).

I suddenly realised that this is the wrong approach. What we should do
instead is to have a BATV like solution, one that does not require any party
but the email user's server and possibly their client application to support
the new scheme.

In standard BATV messages sent BY alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com have the bounce
address:
prvs=alice/0988hirsmk(_at_)example(_dot_)com

So the basic idea here is that she would subscribe to asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
using an
address such as:

mlprvs=alice/asrg.ietf.org/0988hirsmk(_at_)example(_dot_)com

The mailing list does not need to make any changes to support this but it is
much easier to make the scheme seamless if there is a way to recognize
subscription requests

So the basic plan here would be an option in the email client 'subscribe to
mailing list' that would cause the appropriate BATV (OK RATV since this is
the receiver) to be calculated and the subscription set up.

Thoughts?