Re: [Asrg] Re: whitelisting

2005-05-02 19:32:21
gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

"Unsolicited mail" is NOT automatically a bad thing... for example,
if you're in the "customer relations" department for a consumer
product manufacturer, the GREAT majority of what you're going to
receive is from people you've never gotten E-mail from before.

That doesn't make it unsolicited.  If you asked for it (for instance,
you put on your web site "If you want to comment about our products,
send email to . . .") then it's solicited by definition.

I don't agree.

I put my E-mail address on my Web site, but that does NOT mean that I have
"solicited" any spam that some e-mail-address-harvesting spammer decides to try
to dump on me.

The fact that I solicit mail from clients and other specific people does NOT
mean that I necessarily want any and all mail from Nigerian sleazebags or
lottery scammers.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.