Re: [Asrg] Re: whitelisting

2005-05-02 20:13:48
gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:
(I wrote:)
gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

"Unsolicited mail" is NOT automatically a bad thing... for example,
if you're in the "customer relations" department for a consumer
product manufacturer, the GREAT majority of what you're going to
receive is from people you've never gotten E-mail from before.

That doesn't make it unsolicited.  If you asked for it (for instance,
you put on your web site "If you want to comment about our products,
send email to . . .") then it's solicited by definition.

I don't agree.

I think you need to read more carefully.

I put my E-mail address on my Web site, but that does NOT mean that
I have "solicited" any spam that some e-mail-address-harvesting
spammer decides to try to dump on me.

The fact that I solicit mail from clients and other specific people
does NOT mean that I necessarily want any and all mail from Nigerian
sleazebags or lottery scammers.

If I put on my web site "If you've solved this math problem <problem>
please let me know at <address>" and someone solves the problem and
tells me how by sending email to <address> then I've clearly solicited
that email.  Anybody who read my web site would agree.  If someone
wrote "I got halfway there but I'm stuck at . . ." that's arguable but
nobody sensible would claim he's spamming.

If someone told me about the $millions she was trying to smuggle out
of the Vatican that would be unsolicited.

A statement that I _want_ specific types of email is soliciting _those
specific types of email_.

Seth