Re: [Asrg] A CAPTCHA that automatically detects and neutralizes attacks.

2005-06-01 20:50:08
But doesn't this mean that [in certain circumstances] the 'challenge'
email [...] becomes a form of spam in itself[?]

Yes.

Now if only all the people who run naive C/R systems (and even far too
many of the not-quite-so-naive C/R systems) were to realize that....

So I either 1) ignore ALL challenges, 2) answer them all, or 3) need
some kind of filter to figure out which ones are from legitimate
people as opposed to spam-bots.

Or (4) treat them as you would spam: complain about them, and block
repeat (or otherwise egregious) offenders.  That's generally what I do,
when I can't easily identify a message that provoked the challenge.
When I can, I usually tune the complaint a bit.  There was even once
when I jumped through the challenge's hoop - special circumstances.

So unless there's a hole in my logic here (there probably is), if C/R
systems are widely used, the will become useless,

Bingo.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca