Re: [Asrg] A CAPTCHA that automatically detects and neutralizes attacks.

2005-06-11 10:08:02
"Michael Kaplan" <mkaplansolution(_at_)lycos(_dot_)com> wrote:

The filter I was describing was not meant to apply to every form of
automated or mass emailing.  It specifically applied to challenges
sent in response to an email that had just been sent.

So if someone forgot to whitelist this mailing list, then I'd get a
challenge from his mailer.  (Ever posted to bugtraq and seen the
number of idiots with broken vacation programs subscribed there?)

Everyone is not already doing it because these challenges currently
only fill a small niche in the anti-spam fight.  Everyone will
quickly do it if you employ a near universally used highly effective
anti-spam system that utilizes such challenges.

So you are claiming "It's OK to send challenges to bogus mail because
there's a way for the victim (recipient) to filter them out"?  How
does that differ from a spammer claiming "I put ADV: at the beginning
of my Subject headers so it's easy to filter them out if you don't
want them"?  Spam is spam, and if you auto-send email in response to
forged messages, you're spamming.

Seth