[Asrg] Re: bodysig list

2005-08-08 14:35:36
It appears my earlier attempt to subscribe was not successful. I am
attempting again.

OK, but it'll work a lot better if you follow the instructions in
the message you were responding to.

R's,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Gail Claspell [mailto:gail(_at_)goodmailsystems(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:20 AM
To: 'asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com'
Subject: FW: Canonicalization - data source from John Levine

John,
Daniel forwarded your message to me. I'll be sending a "subscribe" message.
Gail

Gail Claspell
Director, Product Management
Goodmail Systems
2465 Latham Street
Mountain View, CA  94040

www.goodmailsystems.com
Restoring Trust in Email

gail(_at_)goodmailsystems(_dot_)com
cell: (650) 996 8242
fax: (650) 949 1038

Date: 27 Jul 2005 02:38:26 -0000
From: John Levine <asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com>
Subject: [Asrg] Body signature subgroup and the forwarding project
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Over on the lists where people are working on DKIM and similar
signature schemes, there's a lot of discussion of message
canonicalization for signature hashes.  That is, the signature
involves a hash of the message, but before making the hash, the
message is cleaned up to make it more likely that the signature will
still verify after the message passes through a few intermediate mail
systems, while not letting a bad guy change the message into something
substantively different.

Lots of people have strong opinions about various canonicalization
schemes, but we have precious little data on how messages actually
change when passing through MTAs.  So I thought a little research
might be in order.  My plan is to get a bunch of people with different
MTAs to set up forwarding addresses that forward back to addresses
here so that I can send them a message, it goes through their MTA and
returns, and I can now see how the message changed.  My MTA is qmail
which carefully avoids doing anything to incoming messages other than
prefixing a Received: header, so it's not hard to isolate the effects
of the remote MTA.

I've set up a new subgroup called bodysig.  To subscribe to its list,
send "subscribe bodysig" to majordomo(_at_)asrg(_dot_)sp(_dot_)am(_dot_)
(It's a closed list,
so if I don't already know who you are, please send me a two sentence
message introducing yourself.)  I already have some offers of forwarders,
but I'm looking for more, particularly once I know what MTAs I already
have covered.

At this point I haven't figured out what the mechanism for running
messages through the forwarding gauntlet should be.  Suggestions
welcome.  Paste them into a web form?  Mail them in as an attachment?

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com