Re: [Asrg] Body signature subgroup and the forwarding project

2005-08-09 09:16:35
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:38:26AM -0000, John Levine wrote:
At this point I haven't figured out what the mechanism for running
messages through the forwarding gauntlet should be.  Suggestions
welcome.  Paste them into a web form?  Mail them in as an attachment?

My guess is that it does not make much sense to just try this and that
message, and maybe a harder one.

We need to figure out what could cause transmission and then setup a
program, which automatically generates testmessage trying to provocate
the suspected conversion.

Things I would like to see:

- White space at top, bottom, line ends of body.

- Zero bytes.

- Line ends in  0D, 0A, 0D0A

- Tabs convertet do spaces?

- Character sets: Try all bytes from 0..255 without charset,
  try all charsets like iso-8859-1..15, arabic, chinese ones, etc.
  and UTF-8. Try every possible character value (0..255 in most
  charsets, some more in UTF-8).

- HTML: Tags up- oder downcased? canonicalized? script tags removed?

- Virus- and Spam-Mails (false positives!): Are they tagged or
  modified?

- Forwarding and Bouncing by .forward and MUAs.

- Offending language: I found that especially US-made spam filter
  programs are prepared to educate users and to block lists of
  sexual offending or vulgar language. Are such mails modified?

regards
Hadmut