[Asrg] Re: Another draft of the DNSxL document

2005-11-01 22:44:21
John Levine wrote:

The example still uses 127.0.0.1.
Only as a return value, which is indeed what a fair number
of DNSBLs do.

You have it in the bit-mapped example, the only lists I know
where bit 0 is used are OPM and IADB.  For OPM it's no issue,
they use 127.1.0.x => 127.0.0.1 impossible.  Maybe the "1" in
127.1.0.x is some version number, or it's a kludge to avoid
the "critical" 127.0.0.1 as result.

I've kicked 2.0.0.127.wadb.isipp.com = 127.0.0.1 from rxwhois,
it doesn't pass my minimal sanity check.  After Osirusoft I at
least _try_ to detect irregular conditions.

You may not like it, but my goal here is to document what
people do, not to write a BCP which is a separate project.

If there are many lists using 127.0.0.1 for bit-mapped results
you could mention it in the "security considerations".  Which
_other_ (excl. IADB) DNSBLs use bit 0 for their first set ?

The most simple approach is "don't talk about it", use bit 1
for set 1 and bit 2 for set 2, with 127.0.0.6 for the union.

Example `rxwhois -a` output (special case OPM eplained above):
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .combined-hib.dnsiplists.completewhois.com
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .ix.dnsbl.manitu.net
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .bl.spamcop.net
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .multi.surbl.org
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .psbl.surriel.com
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .combined.njabl.org
127.0.0.2 (---43210): .opm.blitzed.org
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .list.dsbl.org
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .relays.ordb.org
127.0.0.2 (-----2--): .sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
127.0.0.2 (------1-): .cbl.abuseat.org

 [RBL]
Could you explain what legal headaches you're referring to?

If I could explain it won't be a headache.  Is it allowed to
mention "US service marks" in an RfC ?  Is that relevant for
anybody outside of the US, if yes, what is a "service mark" ?

IANAL and therefore I'd stay way from it where possible.  Bye