[Asrg] can a single posting to a subscription list qualify as spam

2005-11-23 13:41:55

der Mouse wrote:
[...]
I think you just spammed us.

I don't.  It may have been inappropriate, it may have been abusive, but
it wasn't bulk (at least, assuming that, as it appears, only one
message was sent, to our list), and thus couldn't have been spam.

Assuming that we do not want to define spam as "whatever I don't want", then let's try to use this example to consider criteria:

1. This mailing list has a purpose. Does the purpose include soliciting sales of any products? If it does not then the posting certainly qualified as "unsolicited".

2. The mailing went to an unknown number multiple recipients, so it certainly qualified as "bulk". Saying it wasn't seems quite odd to me. Spammers have often used various "fan-out" services, so I do not see that the original message's having only one address that of the mailing list -- makes any difference.

3. The mailing was sent without concern that particular individuals receive it. This is an common characteristic (and maybe requirement0 of spam that I find interesting.

So if the posting was not spam, why not?

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking