[Asrg] Re: can a single posting to a subscription list qualify as spam

2005-11-23 16:34:05
In <4384D0AA(_dot_)7030802(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> Dave Crocker
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> writes:

der Mouse wrote:
[...]
I think you just spammed us.
I don't.  It may have been inappropriate, it may have been abusive,
but
it wasn't bulk (at least, assuming that, as it appears, only one
message was sent, to our list), and thus couldn't have been spam.

Assuming that we do not want to define spam as "whatever I don't want", then
let's try to use this example to consider criteria:

1. This mailing list has a purpose.  Does the purpose include soliciting
sales of any products?  If it does not then the posting certainly qualified
as "unsolicited".

We, who subscribe to this list, have solicited the trafic that comes
from it.  The email wasn't unsolicited, it was just rude and
off-topic.

If this list has too many problems with unwanted (from my point of
view) traffic, I can unsubcribe, just like I subscribed.  The list
owner can (and should) take steps to try and reduce the number of
offtopic posts.

Now, if, I didn't subscribe to this list, or if an unsubscribe didn't
cause emails to stop, *THEN* it would be unsolicited.

Similarly, if someone I know and talk with periodically starts sending
me jokes, these jokes are not unsolicited.  There is an implicit (and
often explicit) solicitation of emails from people you know.

So if the posting was not spam, why not?

As above, it fails the "unsolicited" part.

-wayne