Re: [Asrg] Re: Country numbers

2005-12-15 11:17:05
On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 01:57:36PM -0800, william(at)elan.net wrote:
On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Frank Ellermann wrote:

gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

I think that "1" is the country number for the USA!  (It's
certainly the country number used for the USA in
international phone calling, aren't those numbers the same?)

Not the same, the US number 840 is listed on their info page:

<http://countries.nerd.dk/more.html>  Apparently 127.0.0.8 is
their smallest result:  <http://countries.nerd.dk/isolist.txt>

I found ISO country code numbers to not be very interesting, nor are
they well known (some don't know it exists, otherwise confuse it with
telephone codes, etc). For this and similar reasons I chose to use ASCII
codes of ISO (IANA CCtld really) 2-letter codes for similar service:

http://www.completewhois.com/statistics/data/ips-bycountry/rirstats/1ST-READ-THIS.txt

Indeed.  FWIW, the countries.nerd.dk DNSBL also returns 2-character country
codes as a TXT reply (as specifically stated in the URL above).  I have
been using it in my own mailbox filter script to add an "X-Country-Code"
header -- so far just for exposition only, not to act on.

mm