[Asrg] Re: Default SPF Enablement?

2006-01-31 10:10:24
Douglas Campbell <doug(_dot_)campbell(_at_)craniumpro(_dot_)com> writes:

What should the RCPT FROM be when an e-mail
is forwarded?  The original foreign sender or the local user
of the forward database?  In other words, if I forward e-mail,
shouldn't the envelope and headers change to reflect that I
forwarded?  An MTA that does this appears to be
SPF-friendly.  Actually, it appears that an MTA called
"qmail" does this, judging by the top results in a
google search for "forward man page".  The sendmail
version seems more capable, but the example uses a
pipe to the "vacation" program, use of which I
understand to be bad etiquette. forward under sendmail also states
nothing about modifications of the envelope and
headers; therefore I must assume that sendmail keeps
them intact.  But why?  I'm trying to understand
history, in an effort not to repeat it.

Some MTAs alter MAIL FROM when forwarding.
I have experience about Communigate Pro.

User was forwarded mail to another site.

Mail bounced. Communiage Pro's user
account got that mail (because Communnigate Pro
was altered MAIL FROM).

What happened that bounce mail?

Answer: Communigate Pro forwarded that to
that address what user was configured.

What happened that forwarded bounce ?

Answer: It bounced and was returned to
that Communigate Pro's account (because
Communnigation Pro was altered MAIL FROM
even when original MAIL FORM was <>).

What happened that bounce mail?

Answer: Communigate Pro forwarded that to
that address what user was configured.

What happened that forwarded bounce of bounce ?

Perhaps reader can already guess that.

So is altering MAIL FROM very wise when forwarding?

/ Kari Hurtta