Re: [Asrg] Unintended consequence of SPF

2006-03-17 10:26:37
At 4:24 PM +0000 3/17/06, John Levine wrote:
submission turns into an E-mail submission with a From: which is filled in
to look like a request from your own E-mail address.

I can't fathom why anyone would think that is a useful question. It
is a practice that leads inevitably to bad outcomes.

Only if implemented by nitwits.  I have web sites that do more or less
the same thing, submit a request by e-mail, but I take care that the
mail can be delivered like it's supposed to.

It's not a bad thing if you control the path of delivery and so can effectively take that care, it is a bad thing for nitwits who apply it in a more general way when sending mail through a system whose authentication mechanisms they do not control.

In this case, the problem is that the recipient system is using a
broken authentication scheme that rejects useful mail that it should
accept.  Fans of SPF keep trying to redefine SPF's failure cases to be
the fault of people who send mail in ways that SPF can't handle,
rather than as a failure of SPF.

R's,
John

--