Re: [Asrg] Comments on draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-01.txt

2006-04-03 17:45:49

On Apr 3, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Laird Breyer wrote:

On Apr 03 2006, John Levine wrote:
To stay on topic, do you accept that with your definition, the only authority which can reliably decide consent (and therefore spamminess) is the receiver?

Not really. I get spam complaints all the time for mail from lists that I know perfectly well that they signed up for and confirmed. "Oh, I don't want that any more." For the ones that aren't totally redacted, my setup turns them into unsubs so they don't get any more mail for that particular list, but I don't think it's fair to count mail as spam if it depends on reading the recipient's mind in real-time.

Isn't that perilously close to saying that if they decided something in the past, they're not allowed to change their mind?

This could be a case where the subscriber declares the list's email as spam even though they failed to take steps to unsubscribe. There might also be a problem created by lists that fail to confirm a subscription as well. The lack of a confirmation step would be a bad practice. Some have subscribed victims to lists and then send their spam through the list when this confirmation step is missing.

My position is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the "spam is what I say is spam" definition. It's workable, provided you keep spam filtering at the ends of the network, ie the desktop.

There is no reason networks must endure abuse. At least refusal at the SMTP session provides valuable feedback to the sender. Nothing should force providers to adopt dangerous and unworkable "opt-out" methods either. Fair rules can be established that _always_ consider bulk unsolicited messages as abuse. This is a _simpler_ definition that can be implemented in a fashion that protects resources. There is no reason to waste the time of resources of billions of people to achieve some nonsensical ideal.

-Doug