Re: [Asrg] Characterizing message categories

2006-04-21 09:58:16
The consensus of the tagging committee was that
categories should be left unspecified as part of the
technical specification of a tagging infrasturcture,
with a tag registry maintained externally, and a
standard for experimental tags within the standard tagging
system.  So when you are experimenting with a new
classification Foo, your tag would look like

Is-X-Foo: ...

instead of

and after the Foo classification is properly registered, software
would upgrade to

Is-Foo: ...

The points of contention in the tagging committee were over
agreement on one technique for discouraging forgery.

I refer the reader to my earlier draft of a tagging protocol
including a practical forgery discouragement method
sent to this mailing list.  Given a sudden shower of tuits I
may reformat it in RFC form but no such event is expected
in the next couple months.