Re: [Asrg] Characterizing message categories

2006-04-21 11:21:13

On Apr 21, 2006, at 9:40 AM, David Nicol wrote:

The consensus of the tagging committee was that categories should be left unspecified as part of the technical specification of a tagging infrasturcture, with a tag registry maintained externally, and a standard for experimental tags within the standard tagging system. So when you are experimenting with a new classification Foo, your tag would look like

Is-X-Foo: ...

instead of

and after the Foo classification is properly registered, software would upgrade to

Is-Foo: ...

The points of contention in the tagging committee were over agreement on one technique for discouraging forgery.

I refer the reader to my earlier draft of a tagging protocol including a practical forgery discouragement method sent to this mailing list. Given a sudden shower of tuits I may reformat it in RFC form but no such event is expected in the next couple months.

I think interests related to DKIM may pertain more to a sender tagging scheme, with an additional desire related to trust annotations provided recipients. This can overlap with that of a receiver tagging scheme however.

Within a given domain, not all messages may be as trustworthy, although DKIM verifies the signing domain. Rather than establishing a plethora of sub-domains to establish separate levels of trust (and that ironically may play into the hands of phishers which DKIM intends to thwart), a tag contained within the key and encompassed by the signature, or perhaps a convention for naming the key selector could convey these different levels of trust.

Use of the key selector offers a greater level of security with little disruption, as this information is already signed. The s= selector is part of the DKIM signature and is protected by the signature.

A convention might be possible where either the right-most or left- most label of the s= selector could begin with an '_t-' where the information following this could be used to distinguish separate categories of email with different levels of trust. Perhaps "s=jan-06._t-trn" would indicate transactional mail from that domain.

The size of the tags should be kept small, as this consumes DNS response payloads. Perhaps the convention could limit these tags to 3 characters for a 9 byte increase in DNS payload.

For example:

  _t-trn   Transactional
  _t-adm   Administrative
  _t-sol   Solicitation
  _t-mat   Mature content
  _t-usr   Domain User
  _t-gst   Domain Guest
  _t-mdn   Mailer-Daemon
  _t-sys   System
  _t-unk   Unknown status

A message annotation may decide to include a subset of these categories, where trust reputations of each could be treated within subsets separately.

-Doug