Re: [Asrg] "New Email Protocol Replaces SMTP"

2006-04-27 16:12:31
On 27 Apr 2006, at 19:05, Dave Crocker wrote:

My SMTP-replacement mantra:

When folks agree on the service (changes) needed, and
When that agreement does not break legitimate uses of email, and
When the community tries to retrofit those changes into the existing email infrastructure, and
When that effort fails,
Only then will an effort to replace SMTP make any sense at all.

To date, we have not even attempted the first 'when', nevermind succeeded at it (and the second 'when').

That's the most intelligent thing I've read on this list in a long time. For what it's worth, my less accurate and less worthy SMTP- replacement mantra:

Every 6 months somebody suggests replacing SMTP, which results in
Every possible solution imaginable for
Every problem we have all ever experienced with SMTP, all written by
Every IETF member who has ever received spam
And then it never goes anywhere sensible.

How about instead of trying to fix SMTP - a perfectly good protocol with lots of layers for encryption, authorisation, and decades of experience shared between us all - why don't we try fixing the people who respond to spam thereby making it an economically sound marketing proposition?

OK, unrealistic, I accept. But no more unrealistic than replacing SMTP any time soon.

--
Paul Robinson