Re: [Asrg] pre-rfc thought balloon: ESMTP DATA-CALLBACK (was ESMTP DATAFIRST)

2006-06-06 15:29:06

On Jun 6, 2006, at 1:02 PM, David Nicol wrote:
On 6/6/06, Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

Why not take advantage of existing tools?

if I understand you correctly, we should not take advantage of existing tools due to the possibility of packet amplification exploits.

The recommendation for object storage was recognizing a transmitting domain needs to allow random access to a sizable array of data objects. This is not a simple problem to scale. The advantages of such a solution would be improved security, provide optional privacy without directly encrypting the message, eliminate DSNs, and a reduce network bandwidth when tighter size limits are placed upon header only notification while 80% of the email is spam. Consider the SPF warning added to enforce that made by IESG, in addition to being categorized as experimental.

-Doug