Re: [Asrg] pre-rfc thought balloon: ESMTP DATAFIRST

2006-06-05 15:50:29
On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 03:05:50PM -0700, Jim MacLeod wrote:
Forgive my ignorant skepticism, but what problem would this solve?  The
blurb you wrote sounds like it's a mechanism to bypass policy restrictions,
which doesn't sound like a good thing.

If I read it correctly, the problem sounds like "Messages to lots of
recipients have to be sent to each recipient individually if the server
won't accept the message to some recipients."  Is the solution that, by
sending the DATA first, the receiving server could separately 250/5xx for
each recipient, based on a complex decision involving the content?

I think that is indeed the goal (not bypassing policy restrictions, but
enforcing them individually, without having to 4xx all but one
recipient).  My reaction was also that the LMTP approach is better: be
able to adjust or confirm, after DATA, any successful RCPT-TO that
happened before DATA.  I'm sure this has been suggested before, but
dunno why it hasn't gotten any start.

mm