Re: LMTP-style ESMTP extension (was: [Asrg] pre-rfc thought balloon: ESMTP DATAFIRST)

2006-06-07 14:34:26
"william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> wrote:

I'm not a fan of what you proposed with separate keyword just to
check status. I'd much rather have this as separate DATA commands
if done at all.

That doesn't work because there isn't an extension mechanism for
adding parameters to the DATA command, so it means your extension
must duplicate all the other DATA-like commands, i.e. DATA, BDAT,
BURL, and you must revise your spec whenever a new DATA-like
command is introduced. This is not a good long-term strategy.

Your suggestion of a STATUS parameter on the RCPT command is not
bad, but the problem is that the client doesn't know which recipients
have differing content-filter options, so it doesn't know which RCPT
commands do or do not require the parameter.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
NORWEGIAN BASIN: SOUTH VEERING SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8 LATER IN