Re: [Asrg] pre-rfc thought balloon: ESMTP DATAFIRST

2006-06-05 22:41:02

On Jun 5, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Jim MacLeod wrote:

On 6/5/06, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg(_at_)nber(_dot_)org> wrote:
> I wonder what's next, an ESMTP extension replacing DATA with a URI that
> could be retrieved ala ETRN?

That suggestion is frequently made, and this seems to be a way to avoid
such things.

(Please forgive me if I'm making a newbie suggestion. I realize that this is not The Universal Answer To The Spam Problem, If Only Everyone Would Adopt It, but it seems like an interesting area for research.)

...and that model is bad why? Obviously, if implemented with FTP- like back-channel connections, it would be a nightmare, but if implemented with a well-known port and a bit of auth, I don't see too many problems.

Benefits:
- it pushes the email burden back onto the sender - for real, not like many anti-spam companies claim.
- it makes the sender easier to track.
- it would seem to reduce the spam-zombie problem by requiring that inbound connections to the mail sender be available through the firewall. - it gives the receiving MTA the option not to retrieve the email message.

Did you take a look at RFC 1521 or RFC 2017?

Cheers,
  Steve