[Asrg] Re: draft-hall-inline-dsn-01

2007-01-28 19:28:47
Wrt section "6.4. The Final Response Code":

Why do we need a final reply code? Isn't that code the same as the
minimum over the RCPT reply codes (at least wrt the reply code
severity)? Hence it is not need to send this reply code as it can
be deduced from the existing reply codes.

We only get to this stage if there are at least two RCPTs with
different reply codes and hence 353 was used as reply for end of
mail data.  The final reply code is 250 iff at least one of the
RCPTs has a 2yz reply code. If none of the RCPTs has a 2yz reply
code then the final reply code must be 4yz; it can't be 5yz because
it that case all RCPTs would have a 5yz reply code, which means it
was useless to return individual reply codes (unless you want to
return different 5yz reply codes with different enhanced status
codes, however, even then the final reply code is still 5yz and
does not contain any additional information).

PS: "response code" should be replaced by "reply code" in the draft
to match RFC2821.