Re: [Asrg] How about we do something about spam?

2007-01-31 08:04:25
On 30/01/07 22:07 -0600, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:
<snip>

The solution to the problem is actually AMAZINGLY
simple... I know that a lot of y'all have this fixation on
IP-based solutions, but a FAR better solution (rather than
attempting to block spam AFTER the botnets are recruited)
is to block the virus/worm code-containing E-mail messages
BEFORE they infect those computers.

Ideally. On the other hand, that option is often not in our hands.

And that is really rather easy... you simply block any
HTML or attachments (and particularly EXECUTABLE
attachments) that isn't coming from a sender that is known
and trusted by the recipient TO SEND THEM EXECUTABLE
CONTENT.

Recipients are very often not in a position to make that judgement.
Also, how many of those trojans spread via browser exploits, spyware, or
other similar techniques? The email exploit vector is mostly focussing
on getting people to visit websites rather than actual distribution of
exploit code.

Now the idea of suing people who allow their hosts to stay infected is
one I like. A few headline making cases and we *might* have results.

Devdas Bhagat