Re: [Asrg] How about we do something about spam?

2007-01-31 11:17:09
There should be a generalized rule to not automatically process information from unknown sources. Processing includes fetching images, running scripts, validating digital signatures, and verifying IP address authorization (especially when this might require hundreds of transactions). Such a rule will not expose internal handling and
minimizes risks associated with DDoS attacks.

Only when a _trusted_ source has been verified, should the message be annotated. A recipient's address book could be one method of determining a trusted domain where out-of-band verification techniques can be employed.

I certainly agree that a major part of the solution is to not process dangerous E-mail arriving from unfamiliar/untrusted senders.

That said, we need to provide a default rule which allows receiving "safe" mail from new, first-time senders (long-lost friends, Customer Service requests from customers, etc), subject to SpamAssassin-like determination that it doesn't "look like" spam.

As for DKIM, I don't have strong opinions one way or the other at this point, but continue to remind folks that sometimes people send legitimate E-mail messages from inhabitual locations. This could be a cruise ship Internet cafe, an Internet E-mail sending room in a post office in Beijing, or a "business center" in a hotel. I think it's far more important WHAT IS IN the E-mail than where it "came" from.

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking