Re: [Asrg] Re: DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-02-09 08:48:13
On 9-Feb-07, at 9:31 AM, Bill Cole wrote:

This would be a problem only when zone transfers are used to distribute
data.

... which covers all public DNSBLs, surely?

I think not. DNSBL operators seem to be very fond of rbldnsd, which does not implement zone transfers.

My bad - I consider a zone transfer in this day and age to be an rsync :)

Putting a DNSBL right on a registered domain means that the roots for the registry-level domain (i.e. the gtld-servers.net machines for a .com) can be put in a bad spot for a shutdown. The recommended shutdown procedure (as well as simply wiping out the zone) leaves any ongoing DNS burden primarily on the nameservers for the parent zone of the DNSBL, and it would be bad for DNSBL operators to dump that on others.

Right - this was our original intention.