[Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, Vol 32, Issue 3

2007-03-03 11:26:19
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:00:22 -0500
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:14:56 -0500
From: "Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:19:03 -0500
 Stephanie Erin Daugherty <stephanie(_at_)ahbl(_dot_)org> wrote:
Ok... I'm putting on my Nomex suit for this reply.

Routeable addresses are not inherently less secure. NAT is not the only way, or even a good way to secure hosts.

Securing the hosts is not the issue here. Nor, in fact, securing clients! The fact is however that typical user desktop machines are SAFER if just anyone anywhere on the Internet can't reach out and poke
them directly.

"Safer", but these days, NOT that much safer. Most spambots these days DO NOT require inbound connections from the Internet to function, and therefore a NAT doesn't help, in fact becomes the explicit hindrance you
reported.

The problem is that most small businesses, when they arrange for an Internet connection, get a connection just like the one my client company got. Their telephone company installs a NAT router, hooks it up somewhere in cooperation with their telephone service, and they're online. When I first had a home ISDN connection, I had a fixed and routable IP address, but those days are gone (and were even gone back when I still had ISDN). Nowadays most providers are loathe to assign fixed IP addresses.

The other problem is that most small businesses don't know anything about networking at that level, and they only see their NAT router as "that box on the wall" and usually don't even have any tools to administer it. Usually that administration (which is little or none, generally) comes from their phone company.

Most such small companies don't have either IT or telecomm/networking people on-staff. In my case, the company arranges their Internet connectivity through another company, and as their computer support consultant I haven't in the past directly talked with their Internet connectivity people. It appears that I will have to become more involved there, and to set up their router more in awareness of the system's needs.

That's fine for companies like General Motors or Ebay or Amazon. What you're suggesting is arguably inappropriate for a 15-person company with NO inhouse IT staff at all (say, a doctor's office). We're talking about a company here that uses ONE single Novell server running the
whole company.

Securing the NAT so that _only_ that one single Novell server can reach the Internet on port 25 would have most likely completely eliminated the
problem you were seeing.

IF they used that Novell server for mail, yes. But that's not the case. The company president prefers normal Outlook and the separate-ISP POP3 mail solution they were using long ago (and I have tried to argue them away from that).

Ironically, the solution we (at least initially) had to go to involved us moving AWAY from our inhouse outgoing MTAs, and having to ENABLE the applications at individual user desktops to route their e-mails directly to out-of-house servers. This is neither safer, but also is MUCH slower as viewed by the users than allowing their inhouse mail servers to
buffer such operations.

That also works to get your "critical" email out, but won't prevent the NAT from abusing the Internet if you haven't also secured the NAT
against outbound port 25 connections.

Agreed on both counts. A better solution would probably be to put better outgoing by-application firewall protection on each of their client PCs.

Note that the blacklisting taking effect at E-fax, specifically (and which suddenly prevented the company from sending out more than 500 faxes a day) happened at least three days after (TTBOMK) the infection
HAD been cleared up.

Three days _after_ you removed the listing? That seems unlikely.

No, three days after I removed the INFECTION. I'm just reporting what actually happened. In any case, it appears that many users of RBLs only update their lists every few days.

 (Of course, who can be sure?  The blacklisting
company doesn't tell us EXACTLY what they were blacklisting us for).

Did you ask? The CBL (main component of the XBL) is pretty good at
explaining what happened.

CBL explained that XBL was the cause.

I tried at XBL. Their (XBL) Web site makes it fairly clear that they don't even read such questions, only just archive them for later research or some such. They explain what sorts of things get a company onto XBL, but aren't specific about specifically what got MY client company onto there.

[snip]

Absolutely. It is SUCH a blunt instrument that I firmly believe it is TECHNICALLY IRRESPONSIBLE for any intelligent person to propose basing
almost any kind of spam control scheme upon it.

Sorry, the industry has already decided that issue. The fact that so much of your customer's email was blocked by administrators explicitly making the choice to use IP-based filtering means that this genie CANNOT
be put back in the bottle.

I disagree.

First of all, I think that we ought to include explicit warnings in any document discussing BCPs that IP-based RBLs are inherently flawed, and that our recommendations should be viewed as less an endorsement of that approach than an attempt to minimize the expected collateral damage.

Second, thirty years ago "the industry had decided" that mainframes were the way to do business processing, and to propose anything different than that was laughable. Nobody at the time was proposing LANs of small computers as a serious alternative, but once that was done (and once the advantages of that approach became apparent) the industry shift was inevitable. The same in this case... if we can give people something that DOES solve the problems, or at least which does so better than the previous approaches (which have NOT), then I believe that the older approaches will fade.

You need to live with it. Hence, the BCP effort to make it at least
minimally consistent/predictable.

I believe that the BCP effort needs to look less like an endorsement of the principle, and more like an effort to at least additionally sensitize folks to the problems with the approach.

Ranting and railing against a technology that so much of the industry
has decided to embrace is pointless.

I think they are grasping at straws in an attempt to solve a serious and growing problem, using the only tools they are aware of. If the only tool you have is a hammer, you try to make every problem look like a nail.

I really think that a better solution is that which a previous post also touched on... a cooperative "reputation" system between the sender and recipient, where the recipient's end "knows" that they expect to receive from who... with suitably protective defaults for initial mails from previously unestablished senders.

In my case, each time I start doing e-mail I go and remove all the messages recently added to my Inbox which have nondescript or nonsensical subjects. I will keep many of those vague or unfamiliar subjects if I recognize the name of the sender. This is an informal (and manual) version of the principle I've proposed... a set of standards for acceptance based on who the sender is, and my recognition of them.

Another poster suggested that VC firms would be happy to pony up money to finance a startup with a good solution to the spam problem... but the problem with that is that such a solution really WANTS to be integrated into an E-mail client program, and one which is widely used. People are loathe to change E-mail client software. This is one of those places where most startups don't really have a chance... companies either use Exchange/Outlook or Lotus Notes or some such, and individuals use Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or some other such client. Getting a good solution built into Outlook and Outlook Express would be the way it should be done. It's not a problem that can be solved by an expensive enterprise-type solution, since so many of the problems occur with unsophisticated home users, or at very small companies that run with minimal IT expertise (and budget!).

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking