[Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-02 17:13:39
As you know, in a recent thread I commented on what a LOUSY solution IP-address-based blacklists are, in general.

Part of the problem is that it is a VERY blunt instrument, especially for companies which operate a large network from behind a NAT router.

Well, I've recently been personally involved in trying to put out just such a fire at one of my consulting clients.

The client company is an oil and gasoline distributor. Each evening the software system I built and maintain for them sends E-mails and fax-by-e-mail price updates to their customers. It also automatically generates and routes invoices, credit memos (for example, the amounts of the 'pay at the pump' credit card transactions they handled the day before) to their customers. They probably send something approaching a thousand such business-critical E-mails and fax-by-E-mails per day.

All works well until about a week and a half ago, one of their computers managed to get infected by some kind of exploit (despite every machine in the company having and running Symantec Antivirus software which is updated daily). We found the problem within 24 hours and managed to clean it all up, (hopefully!) but meanwhile at least one or two E-mail blacklists (including XBL) flagged the IP address of the company's router, and starting on the 21st some of their E-mails stopped getting delivered due to the blacklisting. By Saturday, as more ISPs picked up on the new list, E-fax (who processes and delivers their fax-by-e-mail transmissions) suddenly started bouncing even their outgoing fax attempts (even though their systems had been clean, as best we can tell) for at least two or three days already.

Businesses which count on reliable AND TIMELY e-mail transmissions simply cannot have their E-mail transmissions blocked "en masse" like this.

Not being able to issue credits, deliver invoices, and send price updates (and in the oil and gas business, prices change daily) is a monumental burden on a company which is guilty of nothing more than being a victim, just like so many other companies and individuals have been (and, doubtless, will continue to be).

Worse, from a Internet strategic standpoint, the dangers of this kind of blunt-instrument blocking of E-mails for AN ENTIRE COMPANY just because ANY ONE computer within their network is infected (and it could even be an infected notebook computer carried in from home and connecting to the office wireless LAN) will force more companies to insist on MORE DANGEROUS separate, routable IP addresses for each machine in their company.... so that blocking will affect JUST ONE of their machines and not put the whole company out of business. Ultimately, this "solution" just puts dramatically more (and very unwanted) pressure on the limited IP address space, and INCREASES the likelihood of getting the company's machines infected since now their machines each have a real, routable IP address that can be attacked by scanners and other exploits originating from outside the company.

It has taken me personally much of the last week to try to mitigate the problems for my consulting client... managing communications with the blacklisting organizations (since nobody at the client speaks their technical language), making numerous and ongoing system configuration changes to reroute outgoing mails, establishing new message handling paths, and then going back and regenerating and retransmitting thousands of backlogged invoices and credits notices that could not be delivered in the normal way. I can't overemphasize what a huge disruption this is to a company (and again, one which DOES make a serious effort to be responsible!)

Not to mention the huge disruption to their "ordinary" NON-system-generated e-mails with their clients and suppliers.

So, again, I will EMPHASIZE that the question should NOT revolve around the finer points of how to implement IP-address-based blacklists, who should maintain them, how to distribute them, how to phase them out eventually, and such CRAP!! We are arguing the finer points about what is INHERENTLY a VERY flawed approach, rotten to its very core AS A CONCEPT, where what we OUGHT to be doing instead is to figure out better and more effective ways to efficiently and accurately DIFFERENTIATE good mail from bad.

As I have pointed out, such an approach would (in the example I gave) efficiently perform such triage on the messages coming from dear old Aunt Gertie's machine, allowing her legitimate mail to continue to be delivered while effectively guaranteeing that the spambot-generated garbage running on her same machine and transiting the same server(s) would be T-canned and never seen by a human (and therefore, hopefully, not be worth injecting into the Net in the first place).

Key to this triage, I believe is:

1) denying spammers and abusers (in a robust way!) the ability to conceal or obfuscate malicious or spam content by ruses based on HTML, text-as-image, scripting and the like;

2) forcing at least initial-contact e-mails (those by which a sender establishes a trust relationship with the intended recipient) be sent in plain text so that they can be analyzed effectively by a SpamAssassin-style analysis program;

3) allowing a recipient to control just exactly what sort of more advanced content they are ready and willing to accept from each specific sender, and (ideally) how they wish to additionally establish the legitimacy of that sender's messages. (Prearranged masthead on a newsletter, personal SIG file for mail from an individual, characteristic keywords in the message or subject line, etc etc).

Here on this list, we keep falling back into this nasty business of arguing about how an INHERENTLY FLAWED scheme (and I'm talking about IP-address-based blacklisting) should be done, rather than recognizing ONCE AND FOR ALL that it is simply a ROTTEN IDEA FROM THE BEGINNING and that we OUGHT to be working on finding a BETTER solution which is better long term both from the standpoint of CONTROLLING spam, of encouraging (in a practical way) responsible computing, and which isn't just encouraging these costly, ineffective, and ultimately COUNTERPRODUCTIVE games of after-the-fact "whack-a-mole".

We OUGHT to be working on preventing spam (and viruses) from getting delivered THE FIRST TIME, rather than worrying about locking the barn door after the horse has already gotten out...!

Dammit, people, we keep going back to what color fabric we're going to use to upholster the "whack-a-mole" mallet, rather than coming up with a real SOLUTION for this problem...!!! :-((

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking