[Asrg] Re: I'm black-hole listed, now what?

2007-03-03 01:14:13
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:10:04 -0800
[snip story of "my customer is an idiot with their mailserver and their virus farm NATted to the same IP address"]

In the real world, ISPs typically provide single IP addresses and a NAT router to small offices. They tend to charge exorbitant amounts for separate IP addresses (and logically enough, in their desire to avoid wasting the limited IPv4 address space).

[snip]

A solution for coping with the immediate problem would be to relay outbound email through a trusted (better managed) provider.

That is what ultimately I did for them, at least as a stopgap measure. The problem is that if they got infected once, they will inevitably get infected again.

There are also several websites that will assist you in identifying the black-hole lists. If being black-hole listed is the only damage from an infected system, consider yourself lucky.

A black-hole search is available at:

http://www.moensted.dk/spam/

Thanks for the tip. Indeed, that looks like a very useful site.

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking