Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-02 17:34:07

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Steve Atkins wrote:

On Mar 2, 2007, at 4:01 PM, <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com>
<gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com> wrote:

[snip story of "my customer is an idiot with their mailserver and their virus farm NATted to the same IP address"]

Dammit, people, we keep going back to what color fabric we're going to use to upholster the "whack-a-mole" mallet, rather than coming up with a real SOLUTION for this problem...!!! :-((

The main problem in this case is NATs, and the clueless consultants who specify and deploy them. The solution is to not put critical services behind them.

You maybe forgetting clueless IT managers that force use of NAT as a
policy in some organizations. Even more it maybe defined by circumstances and type of router and internet connection they have. Plus such
organizations need something done and and quickly and don't care
if some consultant says they should not be using nat - the question
asked, can you do it or not?

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks