Re: [Asrg] DNSBL BCP DRAFT 02 UPDATE on the IETF web site

2008-04-07 20:18:03
J D Falk wrote:
Al Iverson wrote:

Re, this bit:
   Inevitably, some of these listings may impact non-abusive email.
This
   has, perhaps inevitably, resulted in some labelling such practises
by
   the emotionally loaded term "collateral damage".  In this context
it
   has to be remembered that no filtering technique is perfect, and
that
   occasional mistake is inevitable no matter what is used, DNSBLs or
   otherwise.

Suggested new language:

Inevitably, some of these listings may impact non-abusive messages --
or, in the case of a DNSWL, may permit unwanted messages.  For some
lists, such impact is both intentional and desired.  Either way, this
has resulted in some people labelling such practises by the emotionally
loaded term "collateral damage".  It is entirely incumbent upon the user
of a DNSBL (or any other filtering technique) to find the appropriate
balance of potential risk and potential benefit for their own
environment.

(This last paragraph repeats things said elsewhere in the document
already, but it may be worth repeating.)

My intent for the "mistake" sentence was an aside to contextualize
"innocent bystander effect" ("collateral damage") with ordinary FPs in
any technique - tho I can see how it can conflate into the CD bit.  A
late addition on the rewrite.  I could simply leave it out and sidestep
the concern.  But I think JD's language is better, and perhaps says much
of what I wanted the "mistake" sentence to mean.

I haven't said "escalation" (either the SPEWS or the SBL variant) to
apply pressure on providers.  Do I need to?  I don't think so - I think
we reinforce the "right to list, right to decide to use any list"
sufficiently, and explicitly mentioned collateral damage, so it's not
necessary.

I think Andrew's proposed rewrite introduces more detail than necessary,
tho it does use the term escalation.  Broad listings aren't always
escalation.

I haven't said anything about "mistaken/accidental" listings.  I could
just put a sentence into the "Removals must be prompt" section.   Thoughts?