Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-13 16:01:39
All parts of the system must be accountable, but that need not be government
and the penalties need not be financial.

Consider what happens in a medium sized organization when a mid level manager
hits the end of the quarter, is behind on quota and sends out a spamming run
that nets $500K in additional earnings. Let us consider the following two
penalities:

A) Company is fined $50K through immediate forfeiture of a performance bond
that was posted.
B) Other companies stop accepting email from the company

Penalty A is not likely to be effective. The manager might get a slap on the
wrist but they brought in $450K net. Its not a close call to turn a blind eye.
Senior management is not going to ever know it happened.

Penalty B has immediate effect and visibility right the way up the management
chain. I would say that it was likely to be rather more effective.

Accountability = Authentication + Accreditation + Consequences

I make this case in my book on stopping Internet crime, the dotCrime Manifesto.
I also compare the development of solutions to the spam problem to the problem
of 'finding the longitude'