Re: [Asrg] The wonders of telephones and paper mail

2008-11-14 15:15:18

Well, once again, straw man alert.

Someone posits that it's impossible to set up and run a system based
on usage charging, asserted with nearly mathematical certainty.

An easy response is gosh, better tell that to all the postal and
telephone services as one example.

This is countered by the procrustean claim that aha, you said (e.g.)
phone service...then CLEARLY what you mean is that all email must have
an earpiece and spiral cord and a numeric keypad and entering email
via numeric keypad would just SUCK so forget this idea.

Wha? Huh? Several cents per each? What? Numeric keypad? Who said that?
(key in Beavis & Butthead voice: you did, you said PHONE COMPANY!)

See, if one argues that it's possible that one day people will fly
(bill for commercial bulk email), and someone else says flying is
impossible, which is countered with "but birds (telcos et al) can fly
(bill) so there might be some way...", the right disproof might NOT be
"BUT MEN DON'T HAVE FEATHERS! QED!"

Let's be honest here (oh god not that):

This particular clique has as a deeply held assumption that all email
must be free and never charged for per item in any way, shape or form.

The rest is just working backwards from that dogma.

You have no doubt it could be done, you just don't want it to be
done. This is the worst kind of demagoguery, the kind which no doubt
infuriates most in other venues. (Ahaha, regulate wall street, are you
kidding, you can't regulate wall street, besides it'd do more harm
than good, ahaha, wall st can only do good, what a dumb idea...oops,
lost *that* election!)

Numeric keypad entry my eye.

I'm sure if you ("you" plural) were generally favorable to the idea
you could see many ways to make this workable (and perhaps stop
ignoring the actual proposals being made over and over and over.)

Bulk commercial emailers should be made to pay. It would produce many
benefits.

This is unlikely to begin to happen until there is some glimmer of a
mechanism to do this.

These sophomoric "proofs" that it's impossible, which only amount to
"*I* don't want it, and I am god of email, it shall bend to my will
alone! THEREFORE it's impossible!"  notwithstanding.

On November 14, 2008 at 10:28 asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com (John Levine)