[Asrg] [Fwd: Re: The state of the email system]

2008-11-19 19:47:01
So let's be clear about my point. Yes, there is some relationship between trust and mistrust, but my point is that the relationship is sufficiently fuzzy so as to make it better to think of them as separate.

Most importantly, the paradigms that are invoked for doing analysis and filtering when the context is essentially one of mistrust are quite different from those used when the context is essentially one of trust.

In the abuse world, mistrust means you start with nothing that you know is true about the message and you know that many of those resposible are bad actors, seeking to deceive you. From this flow the kinds of attitude and tools that we currently can and should have.

With a trust world, you have information and tools that give a basis for knowing bits of truth, such as an identity that is asserted with the message. This does not guarantee that all participants are good actors, of course, but it means that you can build from the solid information without using heuristics and therefore without the usual false negatives/positives problems.

The best distinction I find myself using is that with mistrust, you must view transgressions as sins. With a trust paradigm, you can treat them as errors.

The handling of a sin is very different from the handling of an error.

d/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Asrg] The state of the email system
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:40:33 -0500
From: Dotzero <dotzero(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net, "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF"
<asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org>
References: <6488350(_dot_)91226893503976(_dot_)JavaMail(_dot_)franck(_at_)franck-martins-macbook-pro(_dot_)local> <DC157FCB-4AEB-4975-AC35-60B5E89B14A1(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com> <4921A20C(_dot_)1090401(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> <4921E4E6(_dot_)9020604(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> <1206A24B93AADCB2E257F633(_at_)lewes(_dot_)staff(_dot_)uscs(_dot_)susx(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> <4922C1A6(_dot_)1090509(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>