Re: [Asrg] not patents, was Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops

2008-11-22 16:09:43

John R Levine wrote:
I'm sorry I even brought it up, as it seems to have completely
derailed the conversation.  I certainly didn't *mean* "WOULD apply,"
just *might* apply.

Goodmail doesn't have any patents.  What are you talking about?

There are lots of patents in the space the group is discussing. It's not much of a reach to imagine that one or another of them has been licensed by one or another of the companies in this space.

Focusing on a particular company distracts from just how much prior art there is and how difficult it can be to predict whether a particular patent will be viewed as infringing.

Those of us with some expert witness experience know how flexible the game can be. And I'm pretty sure none of us is a patent attorney.

So we all probably ought to worry more about desired common functionality and less about infringement.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking