Re: [Asrg] The fundamental misconception about paying for mail

2008-11-28 13:46:57
 If senders of e-mail had to pay fairly for the resources they use
 then there would be no e-mail as we know it today.

Really? Bandwidth and disk space are cheap. If it cost me a penny to send each e-mail, I don't see that it would make any difference to how much e-mail I sent. You could probably even increase the price to 5¢ per message and I wouldn't blink. How much e-mail do you think the average person sends, and do you have any sources to back up your estimate?

We receivers cheerfully give the legit senders a free ride because we
find their mail worth reading.

No, we give them a free ride because the incremental cost of each message we receive is so close to zero as to be effectively zero.

I'm signed up for a dozen or more commercial promotional mailing lists from companies I do business with, because it costs me nothing to receive the additional e-mail, and I can auto-filter it into a folder because they're known senders. However, SMS messages cost me actual money to receive, so in spite of all the useful services available via SMS, there are exactly zero companies I have authorized to send me messages via that mechanism.

[...] that would still kill vast amounts of mail that
people want, such as this very mailing list.

Only if you assume a system where everybody is required to pay all the time, which is a ridiculous strawman. There's no technical reason why I should not be able to simply whitelist traffic from this list to be delivered for free.

Even if the hypothetical system was so dumb that it required everyone to pay to send e-mail all the time, a lot of things that used to be handled as e-mail are handled as web feeds now, and this list could easily be one of them.

How would we keep from killing all the mail we want?  The only method
anyone has ever proposed is for the recipients to skip charging
settlements to senders they like.  But once you know who you wouldn't
charge, you don't need the charges, you just whitelist the ones you
wouldn't have charged and filter the rest.

Indeed. If your list of correspondents is fixed, whitelisting is a perfect solution.

 You'd still need some way
to get new senders into your whitelist, but the complete failure of
systems like Vanquish offers no reason to expect that charging is the
way to do it.

I'm more inclined to believe that the failure of Vanquish is due to the fact that (a) it's $40 a year, and (b) it's so obscure that (for example) I hadn't heard of it.

PS: If I seem a bit crabby about this, perhaps it is because I have
spent considerable time researching the way that proposed micropayment
systems work, researching the cost models for e-mail, telephone calls,
paper mail, and other messaging systems, and trying to build models
for the way filtering and charging might work and how they might or
might not scale and how they might be subverted by hostile parties.

Has this research been published?

Going back to whitelisting...

What's effectively happening these days, in my experience, is that we're ending up with a solution consisting of whitelisting plus introductions, where the cost of introduction is signing up to one or more social networking websites. And commercial traffic is moving out of e-mail entirely, towards web feeds.

This seems to match the research I've seen, that suggests that younger people consider e-mail to be something that old people use, and they don't see any use for it; they just use the messaging services of the social networking sites.

And of course, a lot of the commercial traffic is moving towards the social networking sites too. Where, strangely enough, it seems not to be impossible to charge commercial senders small fees per message.

mathew