Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2009-01-02 11:40:27
So, from your perspective, the TIS button is 100% wrong.  For _you_ it
is.  But it's NOT reflective of TIS hits against a network that sends spam.

Of course not: you're correct.  But it is reasonable to presume that a
user population which has generated a 100% error rate on the FP side has
also generated a substantial error rate on the FN side.  (That is, there's
no reason to think they're any more accurate one direction or the other.)

Depends on your model of the sending population.

It appears that you're in roughly the same situation I am,
well-behaved individual users, perhaps some COI lists.  With a
population like that, the scenarios for valid complaints are pretty
marginal, maybe a 'bot that takes its relay config from the local MUA,
maybe a few list members who treat the spam button as unsubscribe.
You're not going to get a lot of FNs if there's no spam to report.
What that tells me is that the main use to us is that if there were a
sudden burst of complaints, it would be a hint that something broke.

You can't generalize from that to a sending stream which has enough
complaint-worthy mail to generate a non-zero number of real
complaints.

R's,
John