Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2009-01-02 11:40:44
Rich Kulawiec wrote:
Perhaps.  But I think all such instances need to be passed by a clueful,
experienced human for manual review.  That is, I think aggregating the
data and presenting to a person with a note that says "there may be
a problem here" is reaonable, but automated action based on end-user
reports alone is a bad idea.
That makes lots of presumption about what the "automated action"
encompasses. For me alone, hitting the TIS button is always 100%
correct (modulo the occasional clumsy fingers). Therefore "automatically"
putting the mail into the junk folder is 100% correct. For a larger population,
your FP rate will clearly go up. Whether the FP rate is acceptable depends
a whole lot on the population in question. One thing to consider here is
that the population does not need to be monolithic on the order of a
vast service provider's population. It can be subdivided into much smaller
populations that are context relevant for *me*. That is, people who
classify things like I do are likely to have a small FP rate from *my*
point of view. If I get enough of those similar-classifiers, and especially with
some diversity, their FP and FN rates are likely to be very good.

Think of this as "people who hate junk like I hate junk hate this mail".
I really wish people would stop with this absolutist nonsense that there
is single definition of junk that if only we bred more spam-Mentats
the world would be saved. People differ, as do their tastes, and
dissing them because of that entirely misses the point.

         Mike