Re: [Asrg] where the message originated

2009-01-12 05:58:43
John Levine wrote:
That's precisely the point.  I am not using my habitual mail
client, nor am I using my own familiar webmail service.  I am
using a mail kiosk-type service which allows me to enter a
subject, my return address, a to address, and the body of my
mail.

It must be noted that being able to write but not to read one's mail _is_ an abnormal situation, subject to severe restrictions. For one, it breaks any address checking scheme.

Assuming DKIM gets traction, I can see that kiosk vendors will sign
 all their mail  with the kiosk's domain which will, with luck, get
 a good enough reputation that receivers will say, oh, that's
KioskCo, their mail is OK.

However, anyone can write "Gordon Peterson <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com>" on
that box's return address field. Do we really want that to be signed?

Gordon Peterson wrote:
When you're traveling on a ship, understandably they want to
have you send your mail through the ship's own outgoing mail
server, since that minimizes the time they have to keep the (very
expen$ive) satellite channel open.

Nowadays there are satellite links whose costs are comparable to ADSL. I'd reckon broadly available MSAs is the way to go.

A somewhat similar deceptive saving occasion used to be office MTAs. Since most of the traffic is embodied by office-to-office messages, one reasoned, it is a waste to route it through an external MTA that requires a (possibly encrypted) leased connection. That's changed too.

Actually, most of the traffic is spam, and keeping ill-conditioned mail transfer habits is not going to reduce it. Using the right MSA for each return address allows SPF and DKIM (or other signing scheme) to reliably authenticate messages at their respective protocol entry points. That way, use of false identities will eventually be eliminated, and zombies with it, for the sake of real savings.

--
"The best way of dealing with change is to help create it."