Re: [Asrg] where the message originated

2009-01-12 17:38:06
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Franck Martin <franck(_at_)avonsys(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I'm curious when you say ADSP is always keyed of the real live From
address? You talk about the From: and not the Mail From: (Return-path)?

 Yes, the A is for Author. ADSP is built on top of DKIM and allows domain
owners to specify that they sign some or all mail using a specific domain in
the From: address

as a side note, all this SSP/ADSP processing looks like a blackbox (or
black magic) to me. There is no recommended practices and no one explain
what they do to filter mail. like in the statement "AOL will use DKIM to do
build reputation based on domain", what does it mean?

It means they are going to start establishing reputation for DKIM domains
based on the DKIM signed mail passing through their systems. This isn't any
more of a black box than their existing reputation systems.
As for recommended practices I'm not sure there's enough operational
experience is most situations to have anything useful to recommend yet. I
would be pleased to be wrong here but suspect that we may be starting to get
there for some uses of DKIM and are a long way away from that with ADSP.

We know well about spamassassin, DNSBL, DCC but this is about it. I thought
security by obscurity was a bad idea? ;)

Not sure this qualifies for security by obscurity. It's pretty
straightforward how all these technologies work. How people make use of the
data these technologies provide, that only seems obscure because people are
still figuring it out themselves. Compare this to how people use IP
addresses there's a pretty wide variety there and a lot of those uses would
qualify as "obscured" from outside users too.