Re: [Asrg] where the message originated

2009-01-12 12:57:50
Rejecting has been my first approach when I first installed an
avfilter.  When I realized the number of infections I was causing
that way, I started to drop rather than reject.
[I] could use some clarification on what you mean by
"infections...[you were] causing".  I don't understand how issuing an
SMTP reject could cause an infection; wouldn't doing so be the
equivalent of telling an already-infected host "you're infected"?

Well, I didn't write it.  But I interpreted it as, basically, this
scenario:

- Malware goes out, addressed to A, (forged) envelope-from B.  Sending
   channel ends up emitting it from a normal MTA, M.

- A's MX host rejects it at SMTP time.

- M generates and sends a bounce to B.

- B receives bounce with embedded malware.  Somehow - perhaps B's MUA
   aggressively looks for and executes live content; perhaps B clicks
   on the wrong thing; perhaps something else - this ends up with a
   malware infestation on B's machine.  (Cue xkcd #350.)

If A's MX host had silently swallowed the mail, nothing would have
happened to B - or, at least, not on account of this message.  (This is
not to say that _I_ think it's fair to say that A's rejection caused B
to get infected.  Just that this is what I think Alessandro meant.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org