[Asrg] Meta channel, not bounces (was: Re: where the message originated)

2009-01-14 12:12:39
Can we draw any conclusions from that thread?

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:38:02PM +0000, David Wilson wrote:
I'm not sure what you are saying should be done. If you reject from an
SMTP MTA (not a submitting UA) using a 5xx response, what is that MTA
going to do: generate some kind of non-delivery message. Normally, that
includes the message which was non-delivered, which the rejecting MTA
knows to be malicious. In order to prevent that, we need a status code
which means "I am not receiving this message because it has a content
which is dangerous". SMTP does not have such a status code.

Yes, I know.  (And while I recognize that having such a status code
might help solve some problems, it would also open others.

599 Bounce to postmaster. What would be wrong if it existed? (I mean, besides how hard it would be to reliably introduce it now.)

Among other things, "malicious" isn't universal.  And anti-virus software
does not have a 0% FP rate.)

I agree it cannot be 0%, but better than 0.000001% is expected. See e.g. http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/35504.html. It is also false that any executable content is likely to be reported as infected: the same AV software is used to scan hard disks, looking at executables only. (I'm not saying the same reliability cannot be reached for phishing or spam, though.)

Chris Lewis wrote:
Our experience, issuing 55x at levels of 250,000-1,300,000 per day since
1997 indicates exactly the reverse. [...] Silently dropping emails would
mean that those dozen or so FPs would go unnoticed by anyone.

A dozen at those levels is more than 0.001%. It seems very poor. What AV/config do you use? Perhaps, at that percentage I would do the same. The reliability I experience reliefs me when I violate the SMTP protocol by dropping messages. Since I have to err, I try and minimize damages.

Curiously, some viruses (e.g. Netsky) directly produce a bounce. Possibly, their authors reasoned that since there are brain damaged MUAs that conceal the body of DSNs but not the attachments, an attachment in a DSN has better probabilities of being opened. As a matter of fact, some virus variants have been surviving autonomously for years, which suggests that that reasoning was correct.

Bounce addresses are extremely likely to be spoofed. Sending disinfected bounces is hardly an option. At any rate, even when it is not spoofed, the author of a message is not always the right recipient for a technical report. Besides malware, SPF or DKIM rejections are difficult to understand and impossible to fix for end users.

MTAs strive to only produce bounces for messages that they have accepted for relay from their legitimate users. However, in some cases that's not possible. Forwarding comes to mind. Also, rfc5321 mandates no AV filter, thus the much exemplified virus-relaying MTA is perfectly legal.

Why don't we have a meta channel for those cases? Some bounces should be sent to postmasters, who can then send more meaningful DSNs, possibly after seeking the relevant message-ID in their logs, and fix the problem. I don't think sending to <postmaster(_at_)example(_dot_)com> would make much sense, there ought to be a better mechanism...