Re: [Asrg] where the message originated

2009-01-14 04:25:19

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 20:38 -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
  And anti-virus software does not have a 0% FP rate.)

I would be interested to know what actual numbers for, or perhaps some
specific instances of, FP from anti-virus.

I would be surprised if a non-malicious message would fall foul of AV
software unless it contained some kind of executable content. It should
not be surprising that a message with executable content runs into
problems.

FN rates for AV are non-zero, particularly in the few hours after the
appearance of a new variant, when the different AV folk are updating
their signatures, and the users are downloading them. So it is sometimes
not surprising that one MTA finds a virus in a message from another MTA
which is doing AV, but the message just hit it in a unfortunate window.